The Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program enables students whose talents and promise exceed their financial resources to complete their education. Seeing that education is a catalyst for social and economic change, the program focuses on developing transformational leaders, and encourages them to be active contributors to their communities.
The program provides financial, social and academic support to researchers. Financial support includes, but is not limited to, tuition fees, accommodation, books and other study materials. The range of majors and degrees eligible for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program varies from institution to institution.
About the scholarship
The vision of the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is to educate and develop the bright and economically marginalized youth of Africa and developing countries who have the spirit of “giving back” and who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. It will transport promising young people from beneficiaries to beneficiaries, equipping them with values, knowledge, skills and leadership to support economic and social progress across Africa.
The scholarship program is expected to benefit 15,000 young people within 8 to 10 years. The following American universities partner with the MasterCard Foundation to offer scholarships to students from Africa and developing countries.
Eligibility Criteria for MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program for Africans
- For individuals applying for a Bachelor’s (Bachelor’s) degree, they must be 29 years old or younger in the application period.
- For individuals applying for a master’s degree, they must be 35 years of age or younger in the application period.
- Again, each institution has its own eligibility criteria. It is advisable to research the institution you wish to apply to and check its own criteria.
- While there is no limit to the number of institutions one can apply to, the application process itself can be important.
- It is important that you undergo the recommended tests a few months before the application process begins. These tests can be SAT, TOEFL or IELTS depending on the institution’s requirements.
- Some institutions may require a reference letter. A community leader, teacher, or religious leader you know can help with this.
This is a program that supports the best of its scholars – high academic standards, leadership qualities, and the drive to make our societies better. Therefore, to become a researcher, you must be academically sound, demonstrate high leadership qualities, and demonstrate enthusiasm to influence the lives of everyone around you.
The entire process on your way to becoming a researcher is handled by the foundation’s partner institutions and NGOs. Track all your inquiries and application details through the institution of your choice.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program Benefits / value
- The scholarship program provides a means for students who are financially disadvantaged, but are extremely smart to pursue their academic goals.
- The much-needed skills can be acquired in this program, in areas such as information and communication technology, entrepreneurship, leadership, and critical thinking.
- Beneficiaries through this program can give back to the community through charitable work, community service, and volunteer jobs.
- The program allows graduates and university students alike to interact, communicate and consult in various forums, seminars and workshops to help each other realize their individual aspirations.
- The program provides beneficiaries with a great opportunity to interact with mentors, life coaches and leadership experts.
- Scholars achieve a smooth transition from secondary to higher education institutions.
Who is eligible to apply for MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program?
To obtain a Bachelor’s (Bachelor’s) degree, candidates must be 29 years old or younger at the time of their application. To obtain a postgraduate degree (master’s), candidates must be 35 years of age or younger at the time of their application. Additionally, each university has its own eligibility criteria. Carefully review the application requirements at the institution you wish to apply to.
How to become a MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program
To be considered for the program, students must be academically strong and demonstrated a commitment to making a difference in the lives of others. The Scholars Program is implemented through partner universities and NGOs. The application and decision-making process is managed individually by each partner. If you are interested in becoming a researcher, you must apply through the university of your choice.
Partner institutions have their own deadlines and admission fees. We recommend that you search the application’s instructions or contact the organization of your choice for more information. For schools that require application fees as part of the admission process, fees will be reimbursed if the student is selected for the Scholars Program.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program for Africans in USA
· American University of Beirut (AUB) MasterCard Foundation 2021 Graduate Scholarship Program
The American University of Beirut (AUB) is offering full graduate education scholarships for the 2021-2022 academic year in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation.
The program requires scholars to attend a series of workshops, courses, and fieldwork in addition to the courses in order to earn their degree. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the American University of Beirut aims to prepare young people to be agents of change in their communities, countries, and regions.
· MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa 2021/2022 for Young Africans
The United States International University – Africa (USIU-Africa) has teamed up with the Mastercard Foundation on its Global Scholars Program. This initiative will provide academically gifted young people from Africa who are facing financial, gender constraints, displacement or disability the opportunity to access a world-class university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa will offer full-cost scholarships for young Africans seeking a first-time undergraduate degree. Upon completion of their studies, scholars will be required to lead changes in their societies and contribute to meaningful transformation across the continent, having been equipped with internationally recognized and locally applicable qualifications.
· Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship in Entrepreneurship 2021 for Africans
Applications are open for the Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship 2021. The Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship gives you the confidence, resources, knowledge, network, and financial support to build an impact startup.
All applicants for this program must provide details of their home university. Whether you are a current student or recent graduate, provide details about your local university. The details requested are not related to Queen’s University. Please note that by a local university, we mean a university that is part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholar Program in Africa.
· MasterCard / Arizona State University Foundation Scholarships Program 2021 for Young Africans
In partnership with the MasterCard Foundation, Arizona State University will offer graduate scholarships to train 25 MasterCard Foundation alumni at the master’s level for various programs over the next five years (2021-2025). This scholarship program is located within EdPlus, a central institutional unit of Arizona State University that focuses on the design and scalable implementation of digital teaching and learning models to increase student success and reduce barriers to achievement in higher education.
5 scholarships are available for accepted students for the 2021/2022 academic year, which will cover full tuition fees, accommodation expenses, and comprehensive support for a two-year graduate program. In addition to financial support, scholars will participate in activities as part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at ASU, including leadership curricula, individual mentoring, and other events and programs.